Beautiful and healthy skin is everyone’s dream. But the desire to have beautiful skin has its obstacles too. Bad environmental factors can damage skin health, of course in addition to natural factors, namely age. A healthy skin expert states that beautiful and healthy skin goes hand in hand with proper and natural skin care habits every day.
The skin is the largest organ in the human body with the outermost layer called the epidermis. The epidermis is the part that plays an important role in protecting the skin from damaging factors outside the body. Behind the epidermis is the dermis layer which is also known as the middle layer of the skin.
Within the epidermal tissue itself there are three supporting cells, including:
- Keratinocyte cells, producing the protein keratin, are the main part of the epidermis.
- Melanocyte cells, produce skin pigment or called melanin.
- Langerhans cells, prevent foreign objects from entering the skin.
- Meanwhile, in the dermis layer, there are collagen and elastin proteins that give structure and help skin elasticity so that it looks healthy.
The skin regenerates every 27 days. However, throughout human life, the condition of the skin will constantly change for the better or worse depending on various factors. Therefore, it is very important to maintain the health and vitality of this protective organ by doing regular skin care.
Factors Causing Skin Damage
In addition to aging, environmental factors affect skin changes, especially their impact on the natural process of skin aging. The healthy skin expert also said that sunlight is the main cause of skin damage because of the content of ultraviolet rays and free radicals. Excessive exposure to ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun is basically as damaging as its effects can damage collagen and elastin. Elastin is a protein in skin tissue that makes it feel soft and look supple.
UV rays also have an impact on the process of skin pigmentation. In this case, the negative effects of UV rays can trigger the appearance of wrinkles, brown spots, and even the risk of skin cancer. Not to mention, high levels of free radicals contribute to the growth of skin cancer. On the other hand, smoking and air pollution can reduce collagen and lead to premature skin aging, as well as the effects of the sun’s UV rays.
Healthy skin experts also state that there are other environmental factors that can cause skin damage, such as exposure to chemicals that cause skin irritation and allergies. There are more than 3,000 allergens and irritants scattered around us. This is especially true for people with sensitive skin. As a result, the skin becomes red. The easiest way to protect the skin is to avoid contact with these allergens, for example by wearing body armor and changing care products that do not irritate the skin.
Healthy Skin Care Naturally
Natural healthy skin care can be done by eating fruits and vegetables that contain antioxidants, such as berries, broccoli, carrots, and spinach. In addition, products with antioxidants, and vitamins, such as vitamin C and vitamin E are also good for maintaining healthy skin.
Furthermore, in order to avoid skin damage due to adverse environmental factors, it is necessary to make skin care efforts with skin care products that also support it to stay healthy and glowing. Some things that need to be considered in doing skin care routine are:
- Routinely clean the face, at least twice a day. Make sure to remove makeup at night before going to bed. Use a gentle cleanser that does not contain detergents and fragrances. Also prioritize facial cleansers made from natural ingredients.
- Use moisturizing products. Not only for owners of dry skin, but use this product also for those of you who have oily skin.
- Always wear sunscreen every day, even if you don’t often go outside. In fact, this treatment step is the most important to protect the skin. Choose a sunscreen with natural ingredients and contain a minimum SPF of 15 or 30 to protect the skin from UV A and UV B rays.
- Eat healthy foods and avoid prolonged stress.
- Use a face mask made from natural ingredients. This mask is good for nourishing facial skin and making skin white.
To get more effective protection, choose a lotion product that suits your skin type. For example, to treat oily skin, use skin care products that specifically aim to reduce oil levels on the skin to avoid acne problems. But whatever our skin type, healthy skin experts say beautiful and glowing skin is the result of healthy habits and natural and simple skin care.